Freedom Friday: Recommendations that will help people with disabilities become economically self-sufficient
Disability statistics show little improvement in many measures for people with disabilities. Lisa Ekman has provided recommendations that will enable people with disabilities to become economically self-sufficient and achieve middle class life styles.
- We must continue to push for federal policy that ensures people with disabilities who need access to services and supports can earn and save without jeopardizing access to them.
- We must continue to work with employers to overcome misperceptions and myths that stymie the hiring of talented qualified individuals with disabilities.
- We need to continue to provide opportunities for young people with disabilities to engage in the labor force through mentoring, internships, and apprenticeships.
- We have to continue to advocate for policies that ensure that there is adequate affordable accessible housing and transportation.
- And we must continue to push for the Federal investment necessary to support individuals with disabilities to be fully integrated into their communities. If we don’t, next year’s statistics might not look much better.
for the complete article: http://www.aapd.com/resources/power-grid-blog/disability-statistics.html